Monday, August 31, 2009

10 things I LOVE about Sicily

1. The food!!! All my roommates agree (even the ones from the North) that the best food in Italy is found in Sicily. And when there is food on the table, there is wine. Life is good :O)

2. The people are the heart and soul of this place. They are more kind, generous, helpful, welcoming, fun, good looking, fashionable…the list goes on and on…than I could have imagined (But all of you who have bets going that I will get married and never come home…Not gunna happen!) I am so lucky to be living here and not just on a short vacation because I don’t think you can really experience Sicily without getting to know the people.

3. The sky is so clear at night that I think I could see every star in the sky. Absolutely breathtaking.

4. The Sea is like bathwater and the waves are small so you can actually float on a raft and relax without being tossed around like a rag doll.

5. For me, Sicily is Europe, Africa and Asia on one island. The influence from Greeks, Arabs, Normans, Byzantines, and Romans can be seen in everything from the fountains, theaters‘, and churches, to the food, language, and culture. And even though the history is long and tangled, the pride Sicilians have (for the good and the bad) moves me.

6. Sicilians take time to enjoy life. Friends, family, and good food and wine is more important than working long hours to make as much money as you can. Here there is no rush. And the people here always have something to say. Instead of being on the computer or watching TV all the time, they talk to each other and are always finding something to laugh at.

7. Like in the U.S, the ringtones are popular songs (usually American) . Except here they substitute the singer for what sounds like a 3 year old girl. For example, I just saw a commercial for the Pitbull song. You know the one…”I know you want me, I know I want cha…1, 2, 3, 4, uno, dos, tres, quattro!” Now picture that coming out of a cell phone and being sung like a tune from Tellitubbies. Too funny!

8. The restaurants and bars are pretty inexpensive. The exchange rate kinda ruins it but you can spend $10 euros and have a great meal with a carafe of wine. Not as much in the big cities but where I am staying drinks at the bar are only about 2 euro’s. I could get used to this!

9. Sodas and water come in large bottles and are drunk out of little plastic cups. Like the ones you rinse your mouth out with at the dentist. After a long day of work, it takes about 8 cups of water to quench my thirst, but I think I will miss these when I come home.

10. So far the men have been gentleman, not aggressive and pushy like I was warned about and prepared for. those ones are out there I'm sure, just like everywhere else in this world, but so far nothing but good peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment